Commander 244th Combat Communications Squadron
15 September 1996 to 1 September 2000
Upon receiving his Bachelor of Science degree, Colonel Mitts entered the U.S. Air Force and completed training as a general-purpose vehicle mechanic. His initial assignment was as an automotive instructor at Chanute Air Force Base, Illinois.
Colonel Mitts joined the Oregon Air National Guard after his release from active duty in 1973; he was assigned to the 153rd Tactical Air Control Center Squadron in Portland, Oregon, as a general-purpose vehicle mechanic. In 1979, he transferred to the 116th Tactical Control Squadron in Portland, Oregon and was commissioned as a First Lieutenant and assumed the duties as Transportation Officer. In 1984 Colonel Mitts transferred to the 244th Combat Communications Flight, later designated the 272nd Combat Communications Squadron, as a Maintenance Control Officer and subsequently Operations Officer and Director of Operations. In 1990 he transferred to the 244th Combat Communications Squadron where he was assigned as the Director of Operations. In 1996 Colonel Mitts assumed the duties of Commander for the 244th Combat Communications Squadron.
In 2000 Colonel Mitts became the Director of Mission Systems for the 252 Combat Communications Group (CCG), Camp Murray, Washington where he provided leadership, direction and oversight for communications engineering, spectrum management, and security to six Combat Communications Squadrons, and one Engineering Installation Squadron. Colonel Mitts’ final assignment was as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) assigned to support the Director Comm & Info Systems, Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Virginia. He was mobilized to support Operation Noble Eagle and served as Branch Chief for Air Defense Support Branch, HQ ACC/SCWA, March – June 2003. and completed his career supporting the System Integration Division HQ ACC/SCS.
He is married to the former Susan (Sue) A. Bradshaw and they have three children; two daughters and a son.
1970 Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education, Oregon State University
1978 Master of Education, in Industrial Education, Oregon State University
1982 Squadron Officer School, Correspondence
1988 Air Command and Staff College, Seminar
2001 Air War College, Correspondence
1. July 1979 – June 1984, Transportation Officer, 116 Air Control Squadron, Portland OR
2. June 1984 – June 1987, Maintenance Control Officer, 272 Combat Communications Squadron, Portland OR
3. June 1987 – October, 1989, Operations Officer, 272 Combat Communications Squadron, Portland OR
4. October 1989 – November 1990, Director of Operations, 272 Combat Communications Squadron, Portland OR
5. November 1990 – September 1996 Director of Operations, 244 Combat Communications Squadron, Portland OR
6. September 1996 – September 2000, Commander, 244 Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, OR.
7. September 2000 – September 2002, Director of Operations 252 Combat Communications Group, Camp Murray, WA.
8. September 2002-July 2006, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to Director of Communications, HQ ACC Langley AFB, Virginia
Meritorious Service Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with 1 oak leaf cluster
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with 2 oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal with 2 bronze service stars
Air Force Longevity Service Award with 6 oak leaf clusters
Armed Force Reserve Medal with 2 device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
Air Force Training Ribbon
Washington Commendation Medal
Oregon Faithful Service Award with three oak leaf clusters
First Lieutenant 12 July 1979
Captain 4 December 1982
Major 20 January 1990
Lieutenant Colonel 18 October 1996
Retired July 2006
Return to Commanders Page