1 June 1990 to September 1996
Brigadier General Green went on active duty, November 1969, in Communications School at Keesler AFB, Mississippi. After graduation in August 1970, he was assigned as Communications Electronics Officer with the 11th Air Refueling Squadron, Altus AFB, Oklahoma. From June to November 1972, the 11th ARS was mobilized to Taklhi, Thailand in support of Bulletshot.
In February 1974, he was commissioned into the Oregon Air National Guard, and was assigned to the 153rd Tactical Air Control Center as Chief of Communications Operations.
In March 1979, he was assigned to the 116th Tactical Control Squadron as a Communications Operations Officer.
Bridadier General Green was Commander of the 142nd Communications Flight from 1984 to 1988.
From March 1988 to December 1989, he served as Chief of Operations, 272nd Combat Communications Squadron.
In January 1990, he was assigned to the 244th Combat Communications Squadron as Chief of Operations. On 1 June 1990, he was designated Commander of the 244th Combat Communications Squadron.
Brigadier General Wayne A. Green is the chief of staff for the Oregon Air National Guard, with headquarters at the Oregon Military Department in Salem, Oregon.
General Green received a bachelor's degree in business administration in 1969 from Central Washington University. A four-year ROTC cadet, the general was commissioned into the Air Force on June 7, 1969, and attended the Communications Electronics School at Keesler AFB, Miss. Upon his graduation in August 1970 he was assigned as the tactical communications officer for the 11th Air Refueling Squadron at Altus AFB, Okla. In June 1971 he was assigned as the chief of communications for a KC-135 heavy refueling squadron. The unit was mobilized in June 1972 to Takhli, Thailand, to support operation “Line Backer.” He returned to Altus in November of 1972.
Upon release from active duty in February 1974, General Green was commissioned in the Oregon Air National Guard and assigned as chief of communications for the 153rd Tactical Air Control Center Squadron at the Portland Air National Guard Base, Portland, Ore. He was reassigned in March 1979 to the 116th Tactical Control Squadron in Portland where he held positions as communications operations officer, maintenance control officer, and chief of maintenance. He was assigned as commander of the 142nd Communications Flight in January 1984 and held that position until reassigned as chief of operations for the 272nd Combat Communications Squadron in March 1988. In January 1990 he was reassigned to the 244th Combat Communications Squadron as the chief of operations and assumed command of the unit on June 1, 1990. The general was reassigned to Headquarters, Oregon Air National Guard, on September 1996, where he served as the director of personnel. In July 2000 he became the Oregon Air National Guard chief of staff.
1969 - Bachelor of Arts in business administration, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, Wash.
1970 - Communication Maintenance Officer School
1971 - Staff Officer Orientation Course
1979 - Air Command & Staff College
1996 - Air War College
1. November 1969 - April 1973, captain, United States Air Force, Altus AFB, Okla.
2. February 1974 - March 1979, communication systems officer, 153rd TACC Squadron, Portland, Ore.
3. March 1979 - May 1982, communications systems officer, 116th Tactical Control Squadron, Portland, Ore.
4. June 1982 - November 1982, maintenance control officer, 116th Tactical Control Squadron, Portland, Ore.
5. December 1982 - December 1983, chief of maintenance, 116th Tactical Control Squadron, Portland, Ore.
6. January 1984 - March 1984, communication electronics Maintenance Officer, 142nd Combat Support Squadron, Portland, Ore.
7. April 1984 - December 1987, commander, 142nd Communications Flight, Portland, Ore.
8. December 1987 - April 1988, maintenance staff officer, 272nd Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
9. March 1988 - May 1989, communications computer systems officer, 272nd Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
10. July 1989 - September 1989, chief of maintenance, 272nd Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
11. October 1989 - December 1989, chief of operations, 272nd Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
12. December 1989 - May 1990, communications computer systems operations, 244th Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
13. June 1990 - September 1996, commander, 244th Combat Communications Squadron, Portland, Ore.
14. September 1996 - July 2000, director of personnel, Headquarters, Oregon Air National Guard, Salem, Ore.
15. July 2000 - September 2003, chief of staff, Oregon Air National Guard, Salem, Ore.
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Vietnam Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Long Tour Ribbon
Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with six oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Training Ribbon
Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with palm
Republic of Vietnam Campaign medal with device
Oregon Faithful Service Award with five oak leaf clusters
Oregon Faithful Service Ribbon (30 years)
I.G. Brown Command Excellence Award (1992)
Regional Real Estate and Site Development Manager, Hallmark Cards
Member of the National Guard Association of the United States
Captain, Nov. 2, 1972
Major, June 7, 1983
Lieutenant Colonel, June 7, 1990
Colonel, Sept. 25, 1996
Brigadier General, March 30, 2001
Retired September 27, 2003
Return to Commanders Page